SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
|Duration||52 weeks (1 year) – full-time or part-time distance, online or blended mode|
|Location||The training must be completed in an industry commercial kitchen with realistic ratios of kitchen staff to customers|
The Certificate III in Commercial Cookery provides students with the knowledge of food preparation, presentation, and other skills necessary to become a proficient, qualified Commercial Cook. The course includes planning, preparing, presenting, and serving food in a commercial kitchen environment.
A wide range of cooking techniques, methods, and practical skills are delivered in this course. The course includes current industry knowledge and skills, maintaining high standards of hygiene and safety in food preparation and the kitchen environment.
This course is designed to give an individual competence and confidence in planning, preparing, and presenting food in a catering or restaurant type environment. With the successful completion of this course, students will have the necessary skills to enter the workforce in the role of a professional cook.
This course is designed for employment as a chef/cook in hotels, restaurants, resorts, catering companies, and/or to continue higher studies in commercial cookery at Certificate IV or Diploma levels.
This course is designed for employment as a chef/cook in hotels, restaurants, resorts, catering companies and/or to continue higher studies in commercial cookery at Certificate IV or Diploma levels.
Students will need to complete 21 core units and 4 elective units of competency to attain the qualification.
- BSBSUS201 – Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBWOR203 – Work effectively with others
- SITHCCC001 – Use food preparation equipment
- SITHCCC005 – Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC006 – Prepare appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC007 – Prepare stocks, sauces, and soups
- SITHCCC008 – Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs, and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC012 – Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC013 – Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC014 – Prepare meat dishes
- SITHCCC018 – Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- SITHCCC019 – Produce cakes, pastries, and bread
- SITHCCC020 – Work effectively as a cook
- SITHKOP001 – Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHKOP002 – Plan and cost basic menus
- SITHPAT006 – Produce desserts
- SITXFSA001 – Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA002 – Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXHRM001 – Coach others in job skills
- SITXINV002 – Maintain the quality of perishable items
- SITXWHS001 – Participate in safe work practices
- SITHIND002 – Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- SITXFSA004 – Develop and implement a food safety program
- SITXCCS007 – Enhance customer service experiences
- SITHKOP005 – Coordinate cooking operations
*Elective units for this qualification are current at the time of publication and are subject to change.
Work-Based Training (WBT)
200 hours consisting minimum of 48 complete service periods/shifts with a combination of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and special functions.
All students must be at least 18 years of age or above at the time of the course commencement to study at Mervic College.
English Language Requirements
Mervic approved LLN (ACSF level 3) or an English Placement Test;
General English with Intermediate level achieved;
Mature-age candidates with relevant industry experience
Completion of Year 11 or higher.
All students are required to undertake a pre-training review that aims to identify their training needs through questions on previous education or training, the relevance of the courses to the learner, and relevant experience.
Qualifications offered by Mervic College are based on the principles, guidelines, and standards set by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) and VET Quality Framework (VQF) and are nationally recognised.
Course Tuition Fee
Subsidy: No government-funded places are available at the moment.
Special discounted fee: $4,500
Resources fee: $800 (covers uniform, student kit, learning resources, etc.)
NO APPLICATION OR ENROLMENT FEE
Contact our student admin team for further information on fees and an offer – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Day of week
- Skill level
- Available Seats